Cyprus Youth Council (CYC) launched its #ΓίνεΗΑλλαγή campaign today with a meeting with AKEL.
Through the campaign, CYC aims to raise awareness among youth, on the benefits of political participation, in order to increase the number of young registered voters and youth voter turnout.
During today’s meeting CYC and AKEL discussed about:
- Ways through which CYC can work with political parties to mobilise youth to participate in civic life and make political decision-making processes and institutions more accessible to young people
- How to upgrade the current voter registration system to make it more accessible to young people
- Labour rights of young people and the need to safeguard their social welfare
- The role of CYC as a policy-making body and as the representative of youth organisations to the state
- The strategic plan of CYC’s Board for 2020-2021
- The House of Youth Representatives
CYC also expressed its position that it should be invited and consulted upon during discussions at the House of Representatives and before the voting of legislation on matters that concern youth.
Mr. Andros Kyprianou – Secretary General and Mr. Charis Karamanos – Member of the Central Committee, attended the meeting on behalf of AKEL.
CYC was represented by: Antonis Kourras – President, Christiana Xenofontos – Vice President A’ and Despoina Panayiotou – General Secretary.
During the #ΓίνεΗΑλλαγή, CYC will seek to meet with all political parties whose youth wings are members of CYC and will organise events to raise awareness among youth on the benefits of political participation.